Tailgating on the University of Mississippi campus generates more than 100 tons of waste each season. Since 2009, the Office of Sustainability, Landscape Services and Oxford Recycling Department have offered gameday recycling services through the Green Grove Gameday Recycling Program. Several adjustments have been made to the program this year, including how to get a recycling bag. Below are seven quick tips to know about Ole Miss Gameday Recycling for the 2019 season.
- Need a bag for your tent? Grab one from a dispenser. Fifteen new bag dispensers have been installed on Grove Lane markers throughout the Grove. Tailgaters who need a bag for recycling can grab one from the dispensers or request that your tent vendor provide a clear recycling bag. While volunteers will hand out bags at select games, they will not be at all games so it is best to visit a dispenser for a bag. Free-standing recycling receptacles are also available throughout the Grove and Circle. View a map of dispenser locations.
- Clear bags are for recycling only. Gameday recycling bags are now clear, so make sure not to put trash in clear bags. The bags were purchased from Revolution Bags, which are made from recycled irrigation polytube used by farmers. Revolution Bags has diverted more than 1 billion pounds of waste from landfill to date by reusing these materials.
- Recycle right. Recycling is sorted by hand. Make sure to recycle:
- Empty plastic bottles (it’s ok to leave the caps on)
- Empty aluminum cans
- Empty Solo cups – Office of Sustainability interns mail the Solo cups to Terracycle for recycling. Since 2014, nearly 60,000 cups have been recycled through the program.
- Leave your bag at your tent location when you leave. When you’re done tailgating, tie up your clear recycling bag and leave it at your tent location. Landscape Services will come by with volunteers to place it in a recycling dumpster, which will be hauled to the Oxford Recycling Center for sorting.
- Help us compete in the Gameday Challenge! Ole Miss is competing in RecycleMania’s Gameday Challenge, which is a nation-wide competition among universities to recycle on gameday. This year’s gameday challenge will take place November 16 during the Ole Miss v. LSU game, so make sure to recycle. Volunteers are also needed for the Gameday Challenge.
- Volunteers are needed to sort recycling. Gameday recycling is available because volunteers help sort the recycling collected. Each waste stream (plastic, aluminum and Solo cups) must be separated before it can be recycled. Last year, 29
volunteers helped sort more than 4780 pounds of recycling. More help is needed! You’ll gain an in depth understanding of the recycling process and directly help sustainability at UM. Volunteering is open to everyone, including students, faculty, staff and community members. Sign up here.
- Questions? Stop by the Green Grove tent. Green Grove coordinators and team leaders are set up every home football game in the area of the Grove in front of the Student Union. Stop by with questions, or if you need directions to the nearest dispenser.
For more information about Green Grove, visit sustain.olemiss.edu/green-grove-program or e-mail email@example.com.